The arctic is melting... due to shifting winds driven by global warming. Our glaciers are melting, and they're melting fast into the oceans at an alarming rate, threatening to add a substantial amount of water to the sea that would eat away at global coastlines.
As the climate warms, it changes the nature of global rainfall, evaporation, snow, stream flow and other factors that affect water supply and quality. Warmer water temperatures affect water quality and accelerate water pollution.
In turn, the pollution threatens damage to coral reefs, fisheries, protected species and other natural resources. Without substantial actions to reduce the rate of global warming, land-based ecosystems are at risk of major ecological shifts, transforming composition and structure.
The future looks bleak for this polar bear and it's cub, huddled 25km out to sea on this rapidly shrinking iceberg. Although they look frightened, experts predicted that these agile swimmers will make it safely back to shore. Sea ice has retreated dramatically over the past 10 years and experts believe that the arctic could become ice free during the summer in the next 20 years.
What are some ways that you can stop global warming and prevent climate change?
Healing the planet starts in your garage, in your kitchen and at your kitchen table.
- Carbon dioxide is the climate's worst enemy. It's released when oil, coal, and other fossil fuels are burned for energy - the energy we use to power our homes, cars and smartphones. So use LESS OF IT.
- Power your home with renewable energy - choose a utility company that generates at least half of its power from wind or solar energy.
- Weatherize - make your space more energy efficient by sealing drafts and ensuring it's adequately insulated so you're not overheating or cooling your home.
- Invest in energy efficient appliances.
- Reduce water waste.
- Actually eat the food you buy - and make less of it meat.
- Buy better bulbs.
- Pull the plug(s).
- Drive a fuel-efficient vehicle.
- Rethink planes, trains & automobiles - take transit.
These are just some of my tips...what are you doing in your home?